Chicken Satay Burgers
These Chicken Satay burgers are easy to make and are flavoured with peanut butter, lime, garlic and ginger to give a subtle satay flavour.
- 40g Fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs (1 slice)
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 500g Chicken Mince (Ground chicken)
- 1 (approx. 95g) Carrot, grated
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Ginger, crushed
- (1/4 cup) Natural Peanut Butter
- 1 Lime, juice of (+ zest of half lime)
- 2 tbsp Fresh Coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- 2 tsp Oil
Pre heat oven to 200c / 400f / Gas 6
In a small bowl, soak the breadcrumbs in the milk and set aside. (See note 1)
Add all the other ingredients (apart from the oil) into a large mixing bowl and gently mix, with your hands, until combined. (SEE NOTE 2)
Add the breadcrumbs and give a final mix.
Season to taste (SEE NOTE 3)
Form burgers (mine were around 8cm in diameter and made 6 burgers)
Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the burgers on both sides.
Place on a baking tray and place in the oven for 10 minutes (until cooked in the middle and reaching an internal temp of at least 74c / 165f) (SEE NOTE 5)
Nutritional information is a ROUGH guide only, calculated using an online nutrition calculator.
- The breadcrumb/milk mixture helps to add moisture to the burger and also prevents the meat proteins from shrinking and becoming tough.
- Be careful not to overwork the mixture. I use my hands for this step so I can actually feel when things are mixed and less likely to overwork the meat. If the idea of squishing meat with your fingers might be a little disconcerting, you can use a spatula or spoon instead.
- Do not season if making for baby/ young child. I do recommend adding a little salt to this recipe if cooking for older kids / adults.
- You can make smaller patties for baby/ young children
- Use a meat thermometer and keep an eye on the chicken temperature, you want them to reach an internal temperature 74C (165f), for food safety reasons, but watch the cooking carefully. Due to the lack of fat in chicken, they can overcook and become tough.
Calories: 229kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 149mg | Potassium: 562mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2655IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1.4mg