Avocado Spinach Spaghetti
Spaghetti served in a creamy avocado and spinach sauce.
- 250g (9oz) Spaghetti (or pasta of choice)
- 1/2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 40g (1 cup) Spinach
- 5g (1/4 cup) Fresh Basil
- 1 Ripe Avocado, peeled and seeded
- 35g (1/4 cup) Pine Nuts
- 1/2 Lemon, juice of
- 180ml (3/4 cup) Pasta Water (See note below on pasta water)
Cook the spaghetti to pack instructions.
As spaghetti is cooking, put all remaining ingredients into a blender/ food processor. Add 1/4 cup of pasta water and blitz until smooth. If you feel you need more pasta water add another 1/4 cup and again if required.
Season sauce to taste (see note below on seasoning)
Drain spaghetti and mix with sauce.
Delicious served with some cherry tomatoes, broccolini, asparagus, chicken pieces and some freshly grated parmesan.
Nutritional information is a ROUGH guide only, calculated using an online nutrition calculator.
- Pasta: I have used spaghetti for these photos but any pasta shape will work. I found spiral pasta was great when my kids were babies as it was easy to pick up.
- Avocado: Make sure your avocado is lovely and ripe or it will not blend properly to make the sauce smooth and creamy.
- Spinach: You can use flat leave or baby spinach and there is no need to cook it beforehand. Just add it to the food processor with the other ingredients and blend.
- Fresh Basil: The basil is for flavour and you can miss it out if you prefer. However, remember when cooking for babies and young children that it is good to expose them to lots of flavours when they are young. Don't shy away from herbs and spices because they are not perceived as "kid-friendly"
- Pine Nuts: You can replace the pine nuts with different nuts such as walnut or cashew. If nut-free you can also miss them out.
- Pasta Water: Pasta water is a great addition to the sauce. Start by adding a ¼ cup of the water to your sauce before blending. If you feel it needs more, add another 1/4 cup. I usually add anywhere between 1/2 - 3/4 cup. The starchy water helps to thicken the sauce and glue the pasta and sauce together.
- Seasoning: Now that my kids are older I do salt our food a lot more and you will find the flavour of this sauce and greatly enhanced with a little sauce. Remove your baby/young child's portion and then season this sauce up.
Calories: 375kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 18mg | Potassium: 491mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1011IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 2mg