Hummus is a Middle Eastern dip made from chickpeas, garlic, lemon and tahini. It is great for dipping vegetables into but also tastes great on toast, pizza or as a sandwich filling.
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Total Time10 minutes mins
Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 400g (14oz) Canned Chickpeas, drained *SEE NOTE 1
- 4.5 tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice (Juice of 1.5 lemons) *SEE NOTE 2
- 1 medium Garlic Clove, minced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tahini *SEE NOTE 3
Add all the ingredients to a food processor and blend until smooth. (Around 3-4 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed)
Taste and season with more lemon juice, tahini as needed. *SEE NOTE 4
Nutritional information is a ROUGH guide only, calculated using an online calculator.
- Canned chickpeas can vary in sodium levels, check the packaging a choose low sodium versions when making for young children.
- Fresh lemon juice works best, bottled lemon juice will alter the flavour.
- Tahini has a strong taste and may be overpowering for some children. If your children have never tried it before you may wish to start with a teaspoon and work your way up.
- A little salt really does bring out the flavour and makes a difference to the hummus. Remove a portion for a baby / young child and then season to taste.
Calories: 103kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 139mg | Potassium: 89mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 0g | Vitamin A: 5IU | Vitamin C: 3.4mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 0.7mg