Soft, sweet Caramelised Onions, a perfect accompaniment to a variety of dishes and snacks.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
- 750g (4 large) Onions
- 14g (1 tbsp) Butter *SEE NOTE 1
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Vegetable / chicken Stock *SEE NOTE 2
Heat butter and olive oil in a large pan, over a medium heat, until melted. Add onions, and toss until they are coated in the butter oil mixture.
Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook the onions for approx 50mins. Stir every 3-5 mins and scrape the pan as needed. * SEE NOTE 3
Once the onions are soft, sticky and deep brown in colour deglaze the pan with the vegetable stock adding just enough to loosen the sticky brown bits on the bottom of the pan. Stir it into the onions for extra flavour and continue to stir for a further minute.
Serve immediately or allow to cool to room temperature before refrigerating.
Nutritional information is a rough guide only, calculated using an online calculator.
- To make this dairy free you can replace the butter with more olive oil.
- If you use a non-stick pan you may not require the stock. The stock is for deglazing the pan at the end of cooking, non-stick pans generally do not need this.
- Less stirring is needed at the start of cooking and more towards the end.
Calories: 87kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 41mg | Potassium: 182mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 70IU | Vitamin C: 9.2mg | Calcium: 29mg | Iron: 0.3mg