Crispy on the outside and soft in the inside, these kid-friendly Salmon Croquettes are great as part of a main meal or lunch.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Chilling Time 15 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 19 croquettes
- 400g (2 cups) Mashed Potato *SEE NOTE 1
- 250g (8.8oz) Cooked Salmon *SEE NOTE 2
- 2 Spring Onion (Green onion / scallion), finely chopped
- 2 tsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tbsp Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1 tbsp Chopped Chives
- 65g (1/2 cup) Peas
- 1 tsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 2 Eggs
- 60g (1 cup) Panko Breadcrumbs *SEE NOTE 3
In a large mixing bowl add the potato, salmon, spring onion, lemon juice, parsley, chives, peas, mustard and 1 egg (beaten). Mix until combined but try not to overmix, leaving some texture.
Take a heaped tablespoon of the mixture and form into croquettes. I made 19. Place on a baking tray and chill for at least 15 mins. *SEE NOTE 4
If baking, preheat the oven to 180C / 360F.
Beat the remaining egg and place in a shallow dish. Place the breadcrumbs in a separate shallow dish.
Dip the croquette in the egg and then coat in the breadcrumbs and return to the baking tray. Repeat for all croquettes.
Spray or lightly drizzle with oil. Place in the oven for 20 min, until cooked through and golden.
Alternatively, heat a non-stick frying pan over a medium / high heat. Add 2 tbsp of oil and gently place the croquettes in the frying pan. Fry for around 4-5 min on each side.
Nutritional information in a rough GUIDE only, calculated using an online calculator. Facts will vary depending on the different brands used etc.
- I do not add anything to my mashed potato when making croquettes. However if you have leftover mash, made with butter and milk etc, then you can still use it.
- I used canned salmon in this recipe but cooked fresh salmon works well too. Remove all bones and skin.
- I like to use panko breadcrumbs as I love the crispy results it gives, you can use any breadcrumb though. OPTIONAL (if baking and you want to achieve a more golden look to your croquettes) Place breadcrumbs on a baking tray, spray with oil and bake on the top shelf for around 10 mins (until golden)
- Chilling allows the mixture to firm up and makes it easier to coat and cooks better.
Calories: 115kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 105mg | Potassium: 299mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 95IU | Vitamin C: 19.2mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 0.7mg