Chickpea Pancakes Recipe
These delicious Chickpea Pancakes are healthy, tasty and protein-packed with added vegetable goodness.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 23 small pancakes
- 1 cup (120g) Chickpea Flour
- 1 1/2 cups 375ml Water
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil *See Note 1
- 1 Carrot, finely grated
- 1/4 Red Capsicum (bell pepper), finely chopped
- 1 Spring Onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp Chopped Coriander (cilantro)
- 1/4 tsp Salt *See Note 2
In a mixing bowl add the chickpea flour and then slowly add the water, whisking continually, to form a smooth, lump-free batter. Set aside.
In a frying pan, heat 1/2 tbsp of the oil over a medium-high heat. Add the carrot, pepper, onion, turmeric and cumin seeds. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook until softened (around 4-5 mins)
Add the carrot mixture to the chickpea batter along with the chopped coriander and salt (if using). Stir until fully combined.
Heat a non stick frying pan over a medium-high heat. When hot add a drizzle of the olive oil (or alternatively use a spray oil). Add a tablespoon of the batter to the pan and use the back of your spoon to spread it out a little (to make them thinner) Repeat to fill the pan. (*See Note 3)
Cook for around 2 minutes on each side (this will vary depending on the pan, heat and how thin your pancake is). You want to look for bubbles forming (see above picture) and your pancakes should be able to be flipped easily.
Remove pancakes from the pan and repeat with the remaining mixture.
Nutritional information is a ROUGH guide only, calculated using an online nutrition calculator. The facts are based on one pancake using one tbsp of mixture.
- The amount of oil you need will depend on your pan. I find I can use very little when using a non-stick pan, a light spray is usually enough.
- I do not normally add salt to my recipes but I do feel that the salt greatly enhances the recipe. This is optional and for taste only. Leave out if cooking for a baby.
- If you prefer you can make a larger, crepe style pancake with this mixture. (They make a great, gluten-free wrap) Use a ladleful of the mixture and spread to cover the pan. Cook for approx 4 mins on each side.
Calories: 32kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 31mg | Potassium: 55mg | Vitamin A: 490IU | Vitamin C: 1.9mg | Calcium: 4mg | Iron: 0.3mg