Baked Tortilla Chips
Baked tortilla chips are a great alternative to store bought chips. Lower in both oil and salt but still have that "crunch factor" that kids love.
Servings 5 (8 chips each)
- 5 Small Tortillas *SEE NOTE 1
- 1/2 tbsp Olive Oil / Vegetable Oil
Pre heat oven to 180c (350F) and line two baking trays with baking paper or brush with oil.
Brush your first tortilla lightly with oil, making sure you cover the whole tortilla.
Place another tortilla on top of the oiled tortilla and again brush with oil. Repeat until all the tortillas are oiled and stacked on top of each other.
With a sharp knife, cut your tortilla stack in half. Cut each half in half again and again to produce eight stacks of chips. *SEE NOTE 2
Arrange the tortillas on the two trays, trying not to overlap too much.
Bake for approx 8-12 mins, until the chips crisp and golden.
Allow to cool, in the tray, before serving. *SEE NOTE 3
Nutritional information is an ESTIMATE only and is calculated using an online nutrition calculator. Nutrition facts will vary depending on the type and size of tortilla and also the type of oil used. These facts were calculated using wholemeal grain tortillas and olive oil.
- Personally I think corn tortillas work the best but I have had success with a number of varieties. (In the pictures I used a wholemeal grain tortilla)
- Alternatively you can use cookie cutters to make fun shapes for the kids. See above for Christmas example.
- Leaving the chips to cool in the tray allows them to crisp up more. Do not skip this step!
Serving: 8chips | Calories: 168kcal | Carbohydrates: 23.9g | Fat: 5.6g | Sodium: 256mg | Sugar: 2.3g