Lentil Shepherd"s Pie
This lentil shepherd's pie is perfect for the whole family. Can be given to a babies doing baby-led weaning or who are spoon fed. Delicious and nutritious.
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 2 onions (finely chopped)
- 1 celery stalk (finely chopped)
- 2 carrots (finely chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- 185g ( 1 cup) red split lentils
- 400g (1 can) tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 625ml 2 .5 cups Veg stock *SEE NOTE 1
- 750g Sweet Potato (peeled and cut into chunks) *SEE NOTE 2
- 50g (1/2 cup) Cheddar Cheese (grated) *SEE NOTE 3
Heat the oil in a large saucepan and sauté onion, carrots, celery and garlic for 10 mins or until softened
Stir in the lentils
Add tomatoes, tomato puree, bay leaf and 1 cup of stock.
Reduce the heat and simmer for approx. 30 mins (until the lentils are soft and the sauce has thickened) (Keep adding more stock as needed)
Meanwhile, preheat oven to 220c / 430F and place the sweet potato in a pan of boiling water. Boil until soft (approx. 15 mins)
Thoroughly drain and mash the potatoes.
Transfer the lentil mixture to a oven proof dish and top with the sweet potato.
Sprinkle with cheese (optional) and cook in oven for approx. 15 mins.
Nutritional values are an ESTIMATE only, calculated using an online nutrition calculator. It should be used as a rough GUIDE only.
- If serving to a baby use homemade, low sodium stock or replace with water.
- You can replace the sweet potato with white potatoes if you prefer.
- Cheese is optional.
Calories: 319kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 1073mg | Potassium: 1008mg | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 21805IU | Vitamin C: 15.6mg | Calcium: 155mg | Iron: 4mg