Satay Sauce often has high sodium and sugar levels but this version is low in both, making it perfect for little ones. Use it as a dip, marinade or sauce for stir-fries.
- 3/4 cup 200g Natural Peanut Butter See Note 1
- 1/2 cup 125ml Coconut Milk, (canned)
- 1 tbsp Coriander (cilantro), finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce See Note 2
- 1 Lime, juice of
- 1/2 tsp Garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Crushed Ginger
Nutritonal Information is a ROUGH guide only, calculated using an online nutrition calculator.
- I use natural peanut butter that is made with 100% peanuts. Many store bought peanut butter brands have a high sugar and salt content but there are many natural peanut butters now available in most supermarkets.
- If making for a baby, miss out the soy sauce to reduce the sodium level.
- Different brand of peanut butter/ coconut milk may produce different results and you might have to add more or less of certain ingredients to thin/thicken the sauce to your taste. I find natural peanut butter (which I use) is thicker and needs a little more coconut milk to loosen it. Add the milk gradually until you get the right consistency. If you find your sauce too runny, add a little more peanut butter to thicken.
This recipe has been created for babies / young children but that doesn't mean it can't be enjoyed by the whole family. Start by making the base recipe, remove your baby/ child's portion and then boost the salt/sugar/spice levels to suit your taste. Taste and adjust until you have your perfect combinations. No exact measurements needed!
- Want it saltier? Add more soy sauce or fish sauce, add a little at a time and keep tasting and adjusting.
- Like it Sweeter? As this recipe isn't cooked I don't recommend adding sugar as it could be grainy, you could add some sweet chilli sauce or a touch of maple syrup.
- Want it Spicy? Add some freshly chopped chilli or some hot chilli sauce (e.g sriracha). (Or if you like it really hot, like me, add both!)
- Like it Sour? Add more lime juice.
Calories: 372kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 486mg | Potassium: 416mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin C: 3.1mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1.5mg