These Loaded Sweet Potato Skins are filled with a delicious smoky chickpea filling. A delicious vegetarian meal the whole family can enjoy.
I first made Smoky Chickpea Loaded Sweet Potato Skins last week when I had sweet potatoes to use up and some leftover smoky chickpeas from the night before. Originally I planned to mix the sweet potato with the chickpeas and then form croquettes (similar to these sweet potatoes, lentil and carrot croquettes). However, I didn’t have enough time and ended up putting the mixture back into the skin and serving it that way. It tasted delicious and both Finn and Rory loved it. Rory (15 months) just ended up picking the skins up and eating them that way. I’m sure younger babies, that are doing baby led weaning, would be able to eat these this way too.
I made this again today so I could note down the amounts of the ingredients needed. To fill four potatoes, I only needed half a tin of both the tomatoes and chickpeas. If you don’t want to have the contents of half cans left over then double the chickpea mixture. Use half to make these potatoes and save the rest. It tastes great stuffed into a pitta and would be perfect for lunch the following day.
You May Also Like This
Have you tried this recipe? I love receiving your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Smoky Chickpea Loaded Sweet Potato Skins
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 400 g tin of tomatoes (200g)
- 1/2 400 g (240g drained weight) chickpeas, drained. (120g)
- 4 tbsp greek yoghurt (optional to top)
- Pre heat oven to 190c /375f / Gas5. Pierce each potato with a fork several times and place in a baking tray. Bake for 45 mins (or until they feel soft to squeeze)
- In the last 15 mins of cooking, heat the oil in a pan over a medium heat. Add the onions and cook for 5 mins (until soft and turning translucent). Add the garlic and cook for a further min.
- Stir in the smoked paprika and cumin, cook for a further minute, before adding the tomatoes and chickpeas. Stir.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and allow to simmer for approx. 10 min.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven, allow to cool slightly and then cut in half lengthways.
- Spoon out the flesh (leaving a thin layer of the sweet potato inside) and add the flesh to a medium bowl.
- Place the skins back onto the baking tray face up, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 8 minutes.
- While the skins are cooking, mash the sweet potato flesh and mix together with the chickpea mixture.
- Remove the skins from the oven and fill each one with the mixture.
- Add a spoon of greek yoghurt to each potato (optional)