Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is something I have been experimenting with a lot lately. It has a very mild flavour and is very versatile. This is the first time I tried it in burgers and it tasted really good.
I cut some rounds of wholemeal pitta bread and toasted them for the buns. I then filled them with the burger, chopped tomato and avocado.
Turkey, Quinoa and Apple Burgers
- 450 g Turkey Mince
- 1/2 cup quinoa (washed)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp chopped garlic
- 5 spring onions - chopped
- 2 grated granny smith apples
- pinch of thyme
- pinch of sage
- Bring to the boil 1 cup of water and add the quinoa. Simmer with the lid on for aprox 15 mins (until the water has been absorbed)
- Squeeze the juices out of the apple and then combine all the ingredients.
- Form burgers
- Fry on a medium heat. When the bottom 1/3 of the burger turns white flip and cook until the burger has no pink bits and the juices run clear. (Or until it reaches an internal temperature of 74c)