Pasta and Chickpeas with four different veggies / fruit. Leave the sauce chunky or hide the veggies by pureeing.
Finn would live on pasta if given the choice. He constantly asks for it and I’m always trying to think of healthy sauces to pair with it. Tonight we had pasta and chickpeas. The sauce was made with chickpeas (a high fibre food source rich in vitamins and minerals), carrots, peppers and tomatoes. Combined, it made a delicious yet healthy sauce to accompany any type of pasta.
I cut the vegetables into small chunks as Finn is happy to eat it that way. If you have a fussy eater, who doesn’t like to see the veggies then you may wish to grate the carrots / onion or puree to a smooth sauce before adding the chickpeas.
Pasta and Chickpeas
- 1 red onion - finely chopped
- 2 carrots - chopped
- 1 red pepper - chopped
- 2 garlic cloves - crushed
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 400 g tin chickpeas (drained)
- 250ml (1 cup) vegetable stock
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 250g (dry weight) Pasta of choice
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the onion, carrots and garlic.
- Fry on a medium heat until the onion starts to become translucent.
- Add the pepper and herbs and fry for another minute.
Add the tomatoes, puree, vegetable stock and chickpeas and allow to simmer until the carrots soften. *
- Meanwhile cook pasta (of your choice) according to pack instructions.
- Combine the pasta and sauce and serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese and some chilli flakes (optional)
*If you want a smooth sauce, with the veggies hidden, then simmer without the chickpeas then blend and add the chickpeas.