These orange seed crackers are packed with chia seeds and linseeds and contain no refined sugar. A great healthy snack or a perfect addition to a lunch box.
There is great excitement in our house at the moment as Finn starts school next week. He is uber excited and as well as rushing around getting school shoes and uniforms purchased I have been turning my thoughts to lunch boxes.
For some time now, I have enjoyed making savoury seed crackers and both boys enjoy them on their own or with dips. I like using a mixture of chia seeds and linseeds as a base. Both, but especially chia, are high in protein and because the crackers are nut free they are perfect for school lunch boxes.
One of my Mum’s friends came up with a great idea for sweetening up this snack by soaking the chia seeds in fruit juice. I had a play around with flavours and came up with these orange seed crackers; they were a hit with the whole household. They were especially delicious with chia jam which I make by blending one cup of frozen raspberries with 1tbsp of chia seeds and 1tbsp warm water. I then pop it in the the fridge to set.
They are easy to make but I would advise using a silicon baking sheet; it makes the removal so much easier. I have tried with baking paper but feel the silicon sheets work the best.
Orange Seed Crackers
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) orange juice
- 58 g (1/3 cup) chia seeds
- 33 g (1/4 cup + 1 tbsp) linseed meal (flaxseed)
- 22 g (2 tbsp + 1 tsp) rice flour
- 22 g (2tbsp + 1tsp) buckwheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp orange zest
- Oil for greasing silicon baking sheet
- Pre heat oven to 170C / 325F / Gas 3
- Bring orange juice to the boil, remove from heat and add to the chia seeds. Leave to soak for 10 mins
- Combine linseed meal, the flours, cinnamon and zest in a bowl. Add the chia seed mixture and mix until a dough in formed.
- Split the dough in two. Push down one half of the mixture on the greased baking sheet. Roll out with a rolling pin until the dough is approx 2mm thick. Repeat with the other half of the mixture on a separate sheet.
- Bake in the oven for approx 20 mins. Until cooked through, crispy and curling at the edges.