Healthy puffed rice treats made from wholegrain puffed rice, coconut oil, natural peanut butter, banana and dates. Stored in the freezer and eaten from frozen.
Cereal isn’t something that we normally eat and I never usually have it in the house. However, when we were away in the summer it was on offer at breakfast and Finn wanted it every morning. Since returning he has been asking for cereal all the time. Most kid’s cereal have sugar and salt featuring high up on the ingredient list so it is something that I avoid buying. (I can be a little neurotic over the whole added sugar and salt thing for everyday foods.) I decided to opt for the healthier option of wholegrain breakfast puffs, containing only wholegrain brown rice, and pass them off for Finn’s favourite Rice Krispies. It was an epic fail and they didn’t go down too well!
So I had this spare bag of wholegrain breakfast puffs to use up in some way. I wanted to make a healthy snack with them and found a recipe from Deliciously Ella that I adapted to make these little, sweet, healthy puffed rice treats.
I altered the measurements of Deliciously Ella’s recipe as I didn’t have all the ingredients. I was a little concerned that my recipe wouldn’t hold together properly as I replaced the agave with a few dates. However the mixture was still sticky enough and I was able to form little bite size balls. I then popped them into the freezer. I find they are perfect to eat straight from the freezer. Serve just as they are or place a lolly pop stick in them to make them a little more fun 🙂
I still have a lot of puffed rice left so will be experimenting with a few more recipes. I’m thinking they would be great with some freeze dried strawberries and macadamia nuts thrown in or made savoury like this recipe from Heavenly Hearth. I also like the sound of this coconut puffed rice recipe from My Fussy Eater.
Do your kids like wholemeal puffed rice? Would you get away with replacing rice krispies with them?
Healthy Puffed Rice Treats
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 tbsp peanut butter (I use natural peanut butter 100% nuts)
- 3 dates
- 1/2 ripe large banana
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups puffed wholegrain rice
- Over a gentle heat, melt the coconut oil and peanut butter in a pan until a runny liquid consistency is achieved.
- Add the dates to a food processor / blender and pulse until the dates are finely chopped. Add the banana, cinnamon and coconut/peanut butter mixture to the processor and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture over the puffed rice and stir until fully coated.
- Form into bite size balls and freeze.
- Eat straight from the freezer.