Asian Style Sweet Potato Noodles – Sweet potato noodles and veggies cooked in an Asian style peanut sauce.
My favourite gadget in the kitchen has to be my spiralizer, I love using it to create delicious salads, veggie rice dishes or noodle dishes like these Asian Style Sweet Potato Noodles. It is such a great tool for getting more veggies into kids’ diets, turning “boring” vegetables into fun noodles. The noodles can also be processed into rice and “hidden” in a range of dishes.
It was only recently that I started to spiralize sweet potatoes, previously I stuck to zucchini, cucumber, apple or carrots. I’m not sure why it has taken me so long to try sweet potato as it is one of the boy’s favourite foods and something we eat at least once a week. I’d say it is probably now my most preferred food to spiralize and this dish has to be my favourite way to enjoy them.
The blog I like to visit most for spiralized veggie inspiration and tips is inspiralized.com. If you haven’t already checked out this blog then I highly recommend it. Here there is a list of all the fruit and vegetables that you can spiralize with details on the best blades to use.
To make the sweet potato noodles I use the blade with the most holes, to produce the thinner noodles. I follow the tips given on inspiralized.com which are:
- Peel the sweet potato
- Use a good amount of pressure when spiralizing
- Use a non-stick pan when cooking.
I try to keep my dishes low in salt and sugar so even babies can enjoy the dishes. This dish does contain soy sauce and although I used a low sodium version the sauce is still quite salty and I wouldn’t recommend this to under ones. I added a small amount of chilli, this is of course optional!
You May Also Like
Have you tried this recipe? I love receiving your feedback, please rate and leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies
Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram.
Asian Style Sweet Potato Noodles
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 onions , halved and finely sliced
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 red bell pepper , cut into strips
- 2 small carrots , grated
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1/2 tsp minced chilli
- 2 tbsp vegetable stock / chicken stock / water
- 2 medium sweet potatoes , spiralized / grated into noodles (mine were 550g after spiralized)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tbsp chopped corriander (cilantro)
- 1/2 Lime, juice of
- A handful of crushed peanuts to serve
- In a large non stick frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat and add the onion. Cook for a couple of minutes before adding the garlic, carrots and bell peppers. Allow to cook, over a low heat, for 10 mins - until the vegetables have softened.
- Meanwhile, as the vegetables are softening, mix the sesame oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, peanut butter, ginger and chilli until combined.
- Add the sauce to the vegetables and stir. Then add the sweet potato noodles and gently toss to coat in the sauce. Add the peas, partially cover and cook over a gentle heat for approx 10 mins.
- Stir in the cilantro and juice of half a lime.
- Dish up and sprinkle with the crushed nuts.