Apple Ice cream sandwiches – a fun and healthy treat made entirely from fruit.
These apple ice cream sandwiches are a hybrid of two treats that I often serve the boys. These being –
- Banana “ice cream” (an absolute favourite in our house) and
- Apple and Peanut butter sandwiches (a great mid day snack)
I’m not sure what made me decide to combine these two treats but I’m glad I did as they were an instant hit and a lot of fun to watch the boys eat!
I’m always playing around with food. When Finn or Rory (mainly Rory) don’t like a certain food, I try to serve it in different ways. For example – if they don’t like a certain vegetable steamed, I’ll then try that vegetable roasted, flavoured with different herbs and spices or served in dishes they love. Usually I find a way to get them to eat something. I also love to serve their favourite foods in different ways. I do this mainly to keep it fun and interesting for them. Banana ice cream is one of these foods that are perfect for serving differently. It can be flavoured in so many ways and you can serve it a variety of ways too e.g ice lollies, slices, as is and now as an apple ice cream sandwich!
I chose to make a cherry flavoured ice cream to use in this snack. I love the colour contrast against the apples and I think the flavor combo works well too. However, this will work well with a ton of different ice cream flavors. Just add your favourite flavor to the frozen banana. I’m thinking raspberry would be fab and peanut butter would be great too. The next time I make them I’m going to try a mixed berry with some ginger, clove and cinnamon.
You want to be well prepared when making this as obviously ice cream melts fast and apple slices brown. I find slicing and coring the apple first and storing them in some lemon water, as you prepare the ice cream, works best. Once assembled I pop each one back in the freezer until ready to serve. This is best served straight away, before the apple gets too hard in the freezer.
Apple Ice Cream Sandwiches
- half a lemon
- 2 apples
- 3 frozen bananas (275g)
- 1 cup frozen cherries (140g)
- Squeeze the juice of the lemon into a bowl of cold water.
- Thinly slice the apples and core (I used a star cookie cutter) and then add to the lemon/water solution (This will stop the apples browning as you prepare the ice-cream)
- Add the bananas to a food processor and blitz until they start to break up. Add the cherries and continue to blitz until you get an ice cream consistency.
- Add a scoop of ice cream onto an apple slice and top with a second apple slice. Store in the freezer as you assemble the rest.
- Serve straight away.